Friday, April 10, 2009

Stupid insurance

We just changed insurance since Todd is now unemployed and we are now getting insurance through my job. Our insurance stinks! I got an antibiotic for Madilyn's ear infection and the dang stuff cost me $30 after insurance. From Wal-Mart!!! Ri-dic-u-lous! Todd took her to the doctor yesterday because she woke up with a fever of 100.6 and I was at work. At first I told him just to wait and see if it hung on, but decided he should just take her in since this was her first fever. The doctor said one of her ears was a little red and presribed her medicine. The pharmacy wouldn't fill it because they said the dose was wrong, and since Todd didn't pick it up until after office hours, we didn't get it last night. She still had a fever all night so I called first thing to nag the office about it.

So, we got teh medicine on our way to Duncan so Evan could see his cousins and Todd a couple from his mission. I was cleaning Madilyn's face while we were getting gas and noticed her tonsils were swollen and had HUGE white spots on them. Great! Todd says he doesn't even think they looked at her throat. Double great! So, I called again and asked if the $30 antibiotic I got will also cover strep throat. Of course not! Luckily, Evan had amoxicillin from an ear infection he had in December (he wouldn't take it so we ended up having to give his a shot in the rear instead). So now I get to decide whether to treat the ear or the strep. Because neither antibiotic covers both. What the heck!

Then second whammo. Todd had a prescription to fill for a sleeping pill he has to take before he goes for his sleep study (he has sleep apnea). Since we changed insurances after the prescription was written, we now have to wait a week for the pharmacy to call the doctor and the doctor to call the insurance to tell them it really is needed. Stupid! I just figure it's a dang good thing it wasn't insulin or a blood pressure medicine, or something else along that line. Since when does a prescription from a doctor not prove the need for a medication? Another reason why I never want to be a doctor.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now.

We are going to Cali. on Sunday without the kids to spend some time with Todd's brother and his wife and to take Todd to the ocean for the FIRST time. We are way excited. The next post should be full of tons of pictures.

Happy Easter everyone!

7 comments:

Quinn said...

Oh, I'm so sorry!! I hate insurance too! Insurance company's seem to only be in the business to make money and not actually help those in need; like they don't care. I hate how expensive ours is, and we still have a huge deductible to pay for when I have the baby. I have yet to hear of an insurance company that actually cares about the people. (and I used to work in a doc's office and had to call some of these jerks)

maccam said...

I'm so sorry Cassandra! Sick babies are so not fun! And it can be so scary! When McKenna had Roseola (twice!) she had this huge fever for days that would not break (even alternating Tylenol and Motrin) and after 3 days it randomly just broke. [At first they thought it was her tonsils] Oh, I hate fevers! Especially when they last a long time! Poor little girl! hopefully it will go down soon! Good luck! love, Cam

Luke & Erica said...

Yeah, a weekend away, no kids. I hope that you guys have a great time. I know insurance stinks, but I would rather have sucky insurance, than none at all.

klutzy k said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LUNTS said...

I hear you on insurance the hospital insurance SUCKS!!! you would think they would have good insurance coverage but they don't.

*Amy * said...

I can so relate. We had similiar instance with getting the right rx for our kids about 2 weeks ago. It's stressful and basically just pisses you off in the long run! It must be even harder in a smaller place too! Not as many options!

Rob said...

Grrr......you saw my blog about Stacie's nose right......only it was the doctor who kept messing up and the ENT finally solved the problem!!