Friday, November 21, 2008

Best of Times, and Worste of Times

Todd and I have had a lot of sleepless night this past week praying each day that Todd won't get sent home early on the bus with no job. Freeport has had to lay off a lot of its employees due to the declining price of copper. It's so scary when layoffs are happening all around him. He feels greatful not to have been layed off Monday, or today, but he also feels guilty. Some of the men in our ward who are married with kids no longer have any income. There is another round of layoffs rumored to happen on Monday. The price of copper is lower than the production cost at this point. Sad for so many families.

I have been lucky enough to only work one day a week right now. I am also lucky enough that on Monday, I called my boss to see if there was any possibility of me picking up more shifts--just in case. To my astonishment, there is a full-time position open and I can take it as soon as December. If all goes well, I won't start until January so I can have just one more month with my kiddos. Thank goodness I decided to work in a recessionless field! I will forever be greatful that I got my degree and am able to support my family. And, only have to work 3 days a week to be full-time! It is going to be so hard for me to work full-time again though.

Please keep us in your prayers.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's scary. But that is also great that you have something to fall back on as well. I hope it all work out.

Rob said...

We will keep you in our prayers, a friend of mine was let go this week from the mine, and I hope you are not next!!

LUNTS said...

I know everything is getting pretty scary, If you need my help on watching your kids call me and i would love to wat ch them.

Erin said...

Hey guys, we'll definately be thinking about you...good luck!

The Tanners said...

Hi Cassandra, I just found you and wondered if I could add you to my list? Let me know.